|Year(s) Listed: • 2010|
|City/Town: • Hiawatha|
|Location Class: • Government|
|Built: 1891 | Year Saved: 2009|
|Historic Designation: • Historic District|
|Awards: • Honor Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
The former First National Bank building has been a local landmark in Hiawatha since its construction in 1891. This significant commercial building is a contributing resource in the National Register-listed Hiawatha Courthouse Square Historic District. The building was vacant for more than fifteen years until the Brown County Historical Society purchased the building for a complete rehabilitation in honor of local resident, Frances Sewell Plamann. Work began in the fall of 2008 and it now houses the local history museum and offices for the City of Hiawatha.