|Year(s) Listed: • 2015|
|City/Town: • Manhattan|
|Location Class: • Theater|
|Built: 1909 | Year Saved: N/A|
|Awards: • Merit Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Having served multiple purposes over the years, a building can often find itself in need of an overhaul. The Marshall Theatre in Manhattan was no different. Built in 1909 and designed by architect Carl Boller, a well-known Midwestern theater designer, the two-story brick building containing an 1100 seat theater was regarded as one of the top theaters in the region. Sold to the Dickinson movie theater chain in 1921, the building passed to JC Penney’s in 1960. When JC Penney’s left the building in 1987, it then served as a Dollar General, City Farmers market, a church, a salon, and several offices before the recent rehabilitation. Work performed included removal of the tile and stucco from the original exterior brick, tuckpointing of the brick, and removal and rework of all exterior doors and windows to closely match the original, historic openings. Inside, the entire mechanical and electrical systems were replaced to meet code, all while tenants still occupied the building. The tenant spaces were completed with modern finishes and construction to meet the tenant needs. However, on the 2nd floor a quarter of the original wood flooring was rejuvenated to provide a floor finish for two tenants. A new ADA compliant entrance required the addition of new supporting walls and footings in the basement. After extensive upgrades, the Marshall Theatre is able to continue serving as an important part of Manhattan’s downtown district.
The project team included: Icon Investments, Bowman Bowman Novick, LST Consultants, and Ron Fowles Construction.