|Year(s) Listed: • 2014|
|City/Town: • Leavenworth|
|Location Class: • Government • Hospital|
|Built: 1883 | Year Saved: N/A|
|Awards: • Honor Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Originally built as the second Post Hospital in 1883, Building 55 served the medical needs of a growing military post for nearly 20 years. With the construction of a new hospital in 1902, the building subsequently went through many different uses, first being converted to the Hospital Detachment Barracks/Hospital Corp Barracks, then in 1921 into six apartments for officer’s families, then again in 1941 into the Hospital Annex, and yet again in 1952 into Bachelor Officer Quarters. In 1980 the building was finally converted to house Administrative General Purpose functions. The building managed to retain some of its original plaster walls and ceilings, which were retained and restored as part of the rehabilitation. The original volumes of space in the building were recreated, and the original clerestory windows were uncovered to provide natural daylight. Where new walls were required for functional reasons, historically styled glazing was provided near the original ceilings to allow the natural light from the clerestory windows to penetrate throughout the space. New mechanical and electrical services were installed in concealed spaces or in minimal soffits to reduce their impact on the original spaces. The exterior of the building retained a high level of historical integrity throughout its numerous lives. The porches on the east, west, and south appeared to match those in historic photographs and therefore were retained.
The project team included: Fort Leavenworth DPW; Fort Leavenworth CAC; Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District; GLMV Architecture; Treanor Architects; Professional Engineering Consultants; KH Engineering, and JE Dunn Construction.