|Year(s) Listed: • 2018|
|City/Town: • Topeka|
|Location Class: • Church|
|Built: 1900 | Year Saved: ~2017|
|Awards: • Honor Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
St. Joseph German Catholic Church was constructed in 1900, by a German-speaking parish founded in 1887 and populated with Volga German immigrants who first arrived in Topeka in the 1870s. Despite being well maintained throughout its 117 year existence, time was taking its toll on the historic brick masonry building. The current parish members decided to undertake a project to make the necessary repairs and preserve the exterior of the building. The church now stands ready to serve the descendants of the original parish for many years to come.
State historic preservation tax credits and a Historic Trust Fund grant were utilized to fund this rehabilitation.