Current Status: Endangered

The 316,000 gallon Landmark Water Tower was constructed in 1922. The water tower helped expand the waterworks and equalize water pressure throughout Manhattan. It is no longer used as a water tower or viewing tower but serves as a historic landmark for the area. The water tower is a standpipe with a cylindrical tower over …

Read More »

Picture from KSHPO The poor farm’s main building was constructed in 1889-1890 on a parcel of land once owned by W.E. Glover. Glover’s house is still standing. The poor farm’s cemetery is located a few hundred feet north of the poor farm. The buildings on the property have fallen into serious neglect since being abandoned …

Read More »

Since 1922, the former Lincoln High School has stood as a cornerstone of the community at the south end of 4th Street. Although it has largely sat vacant since the last class graduated from it in 1996, a group of local citizens organized the 1922 Foundation, a non-profit 501c(3), to purchase the building and work …

Read More »

The idea for the St. Johns Salina Hospital was pitched by Rev. Father Maher of the Sisters of St. Joseph who then brought the idea to other non-Catholic citizens of Salina who agreed there was a need and banded together. Because of the strong belief in the cause donations came pouring in and construction ensued …

Read More »

Kansas State Office Building, renamed Docking State Office Building in 1987, is one of the first examples of Modern Movement architecture effectively applied to a public building in Kansas. It was also one of the earliest buildings in the region to utilize an aluminum and glass curtain wall. The building clearly expresses the ideals and …

Read More »

A landmark in the western Topeka skyline, the building was constructed in 1930 to house the Securities Benefit Association Hospital.  The design of the building was inspired by Independence Hall in Philadelphia and represents collaboration between a Chicago firm, Schmidt, Garden and Martin and Topeka architect Walter E. Glover.  In 1961, the Menninger Foundation purchased …

Read More »

Due to depopulation, the bustling late 19th and early 20th century downtowns across Kansas are becoming increasingly vacant. The 2010 census revealed 75 of Kansas’ 105 counties experienced population loss, with 23 of them losing 10 percent or more of their residents. With farm consolidation and migration to urban areas, the economic base required to …

Read More »

This collection of three utilitarian buildings dates to around 1903 and various lumber enterprises occupied the buildings for a near century. The office and coal storage buildings are both excellent examples of the increasingly rare False Front building type. Unfortunately the buildings have been underutilized since 1992 and vacant since 2007. The property was listed …

Read More »

This 1929 Art Deco style office building is the tallest building in downtown Arkansas City. The structure served as the commercial anchor downtown for much of the 20th century. It was a hub of activity with street-level cafes and shops and upper-level professional offices. It is listed in the National Register as a contributing resource …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer