|Year(s) Listed: • 2011|
|City/Town: • Lawrence|
|Location Class: • Government|
|Built: 1937 | Year Saved: 2009|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (1975)|
|Awards: • Medallion Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
The Old Lawrence City Library (Lawrence Carnegie Library) was one of 66 Carnegie libraries built in Kansas. The building was constructed in 1904 and an addition was built in 1937. By the 1960’s the community had outgrown the building and in 1972 the city library moved to its new location leaving the Old Lawrence City Library building vacant. From 1974 until 2002, the Lawrence Arts Center occupied the building and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Treanor Architects with AB Bradley Construction Co., Inc., Professional Engineering Consultants, P.A. and the City of Lawrence designed the rehabilitation project, which included structural assessment and stabilization, interior rehabilitation, and a sensitively designed rear addition providing an accessible entrance, elevator, and bathrooms.