Historic Designation: National Register of Historic Places

The 316,000 gallon Landmark Water Tower was constructed in 1922. The water tower helped expand the waterworks and equalize water pressure throughout Manhattan. It is no longer used as a water tower or viewing tower but serves as a historic landmark for the area. The water tower is a standpipe with a cylindrical tower over …

Read More »

Since 1922, the former Lincoln High School has stood as a cornerstone of the community at the south end of 4th Street. Although it has largely sat vacant since the last class graduated from it in 1996, a group of local citizens organized the 1922 Foundation, a non-profit 501c(3), to purchase the building and work …

Read More »

Kansas State Office Building, renamed Docking State Office Building in 1987, is one of the first examples of Modern Movement architecture effectively applied to a public building in Kansas. It was also one of the earliest buildings in the region to utilize an aluminum and glass curtain wall. The building clearly expresses the ideals and …

Read More »

A landmark in the western Topeka skyline, the building was constructed in 1930 to house the Securities Benefit Association Hospital.  The design of the building was inspired by Independence Hall in Philadelphia and represents collaboration between a Chicago firm, Schmidt, Garden and Martin and Topeka architect Walter E. Glover.  In 1961, the Menninger Foundation purchased …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
St. Joseph Catholic Church

The Church parish involved with the present preservation effort are descendants from the original founding German parish who had the Church constructed in 1900. Many of the same German names are still found in the Church registry. The Catholic Church is still planning to use the Church as it was designed in 1900. Changes to …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Little Stranger Christian Church

The adaptation of the church to meet the community’s needs over time is a markedly unique component of its history, and evidence of its importance to rural residents.  The church remained an active meeting spot throughout the 1960s, 70s, and 80s until interest and resources for maintenance dwindled.  In the mid 2010s, interest in restoring …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Lee Mercantile Company Building

The HD Lee Mercantile Company Building, the north building in the complex, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Register of Historic Kansas Places in 2008.  The entire complex is nationally significant in the areas of Commerce and Industry because of the building’s association with Henry Daniel Lee.  Lee founded the HD …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Klock’s Grocery & Independent Laundry

Following the death of Helmer Klock, R.M. Reeves, a well-known local grocer, purchased the property and operated the store as Reeves Grocery until 1959. After Reeves Grocery, the store was converted by Ed Elam to a laundry facility for the Independent Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Company. Elam’s company had been founded in Lawrence in 1930, and …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Fresh Air Baby Camp

The Fresh Air Baby Camp in Wichita, Kansas may possibly be the only extant purpose-built and permanent baby camp structure in the United States. In 2007 the building had been out of use for several years and the City Park and Recreation Department had not been able to maintain it. The Wichita Office of Historic …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Atchison YMCA

The Atchison YMCA has continuously served the community needs of the citizens of Atchinson.  The building functioned as the city’s only YMCA facility until it closed in 2017.  A new YMCA facility was constructed adjacent to the historic building, which opened in 2018.  The Atchison YMCA organization continued to adapt its program and modify the …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer