|Year(s) Listed: • 2012|
|City/Town: • Fort Riley|
|Location Class: • Government • Hospital|
|Built: 1905 | Year Saved: 2011|
|Awards: • Preservation Stewardship Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Building 216 was constructed in 1905 as the Cavalry Post Guard House/Confinement Facility at Fort Riley. IN the 1980s, the building was abandoned and remained vacant until it was renovated to provide offices and courtrooms for the Staff judge Advocate. Completed in 2011, the renovation project upgraded the building to meet anti-terrorism force protection and seismic requirements. The building’s character-defining features were restored including the pressed tin ceilings, staircase, front entry doors and five non-functioning radiators. To further restore the building’s historic character and symbolize its original purpose, the exterior bars on the windows were refurbished and re-installed.
The project team included the Fort Riley Directorate of Public Works Environmental Division’s Conservation Branch, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, BNB Design and Caman/Titan Joint Venture, Inc.