|Year(s) Listed: • 2012|
|City/Town: • Collyer|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: 1917 | Year Saved: 2011|
|Awards: • Preservation Stewardship Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Dedicated in 1917, St. Michael Catholic School was built to withstand Kansas’ hostile environment. Constructed of native limestone and Redox brick, the two-story building served the community until the school closed in 1967. After 28 years of neglect the school building was rescued by the Collyer Community Alliance and earmarked for the community center and a business incubator. Despite the neglect, the structure remained sound. In 2011, the CCA completed the restoration of all windows, exterior doors, basement entry, chimneys and the roof as well as some brick repainting. The project was funded through a Heritage grant and matching funds from the CCA.
State historic preservation tax credits and a Heritage Trust Fund grant were utilized to fund this project. Additional project financing was provided by the First Federal Savings and Loan.
The project team included the Collyer Community Alliance, Schamber Historic Preservation, Mort Plunkett, Mid-Continental Restoration and Western Aluminum and Glass.