|Year(s) Listed: • 2012|
|City/Town: • Leavenworth|
|Location Class: • Hospital|
|Built: 1929 | Year Saved: 2011|
|Awards: • Honor Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Building 465 was the third hospital to serve the United States Disciplinary Barracks since its establishment in 1875. Constructed in 1929, it continually served its original function for 40 years and in 2002 it was one of ten historic buildings within the Disciplinary Barracks’ walled compound that were decommissioned pending reuse. In May 2011, the hospital was rehabilitated and renovated for the Civilian Education System. The building was converted to provide 14 classrooms, a Network Operations Center and ancillary spaces. While upgrades were made to meet life-safety, seismic, anti-terrorism and technology requirements, the original footprint and character-defining features were retained. The project was the first rehabilitation at the fort to achieve LEED Gold Certification.
The project team included in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Leavenworth Directorate of Installation Support, Army Management Staff College, Merrick & Company, Yaeger Architecture, Gastinger Walker Harden Architects, Spencer Preservation and JE Dunn Construction Company.