|Year(s) Listed: • 2007|
|City/Town: • Woodston|
|Location Class: • Government|
|Built: N/A | Year Saved: N/A|
|Awards: • Advocacy Award|
|Contributor: Timothy Weston, SHPO Archeologist|
The Indian Village on Pawnee Fork is an archeological site that was the location of a Cheyenne camp during the winter of 1866-67. The village was the location of a confrontation between the Indians and the U.S. Army that had implications far beyond the Pawnee River Valley.
Locating the Indian Village on Pawnee Fork took diligent investigation and research of expedition maps. Earl Monger and George Elmore, a ranger at Fort Larned, located the site in the 1970s. Subsequent archeological investigations by the KSHS archeologists confirmed the location. Complete ownership of the site was obtained by the Fort Larned Old Guard in 2004. The Old Guard is now protecting and preserving this highly significant historic site. It is currently being nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. Once the site is secure, a management plan is in place, and the site is placed on the National Register, it will be offered to the National Park Service as a detached unit for Fort Larned NHS.