|Year(s) Listed: • 2005|
|City/Town: • Leawood|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: 1877 | Year Saved: 2004|
|Awards: • Advocacy Award|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
The Leawood Historic Commission is the recipient of a Preservation Advocacy Award for their efforts to save the Oxford Schoolhouse. At one time there were over 100 one-room schoolhouses in Johnson County. The Oxford Schoolhouse was the last remaining remnant of a by-gone era in southern Johnson County. Following nine years of fundraising and tireless effort, the Leawood Historic Commission found an appropriate site for the school and secured funds to move and restore the structure. On March 3, 2003, the schoolhouse was moved eleven blocks south to Leawood’s Ironwoods Park. The school then underwent a complete renovation and reopened to the public as a living history classroom and community gathering place on July 24, 2004. The Leawood Historic Commission led the effort to save and preserve this valuable piece of Johnson County history.