|Year(s) Listed: • 2013
|City/Town: • Wichita
|Location Class: • School
|Built: 1890 | Year Saved: N/A
|Awards: • Preservation Stewardship Award
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance
Built in 1890, and the reflective half constructed in 1910, the McCormick School is still owned and maintained by the Unified School District 259 of Wichita. This makes the building the oldest school in Wichita. Having recently undergone re-pointing work on the native limestone and weatherproofing around the foundation, the project has been submitted this year for its recent efforts of restoring the existing wood window sashes, frames and surrounds. The restoration of the windows has given the building a significant facelift keeping the momentum rolling on a phased project expecting to restore exterior doors and construction of new wood storm windows in the near future to maintain its current viable use for USD 259.
Kansas State Rehabilitation Tax Credits and a Heritage Trust Fund Grant were utilized to fund this rehabilitation.
The project team included Sutherland Builders and Unified School District 259.