The 1931 Telephone Building is located on the southeast corner of Main and 10th Streets. At the time the building was constructed, Main Street was a primary thoroughfare, Main Street brewing U.S. North Highway 40 in 1931 and changed to State Highway 24 in January 1936, remaining until the early 1940’s when Highway 24 was built south of the city. A hotel was across the street north, an opera house was directly west across Main Street, and a bank is diagonal northwest across Main Street yet today.
In 1937, United Telephone merged with Southwestern Bell. At present, the building is owned by the County, also the owner of The Sherman County Courthouse, the other Art Deco building, much photographed and sketched by artists who visit Goodland. Both buildings are sources of pride to residents who are happy to share their history.