This project preserved the 1887 former residence of John and Eva (Dalton) Whipple, an 1887 contributing property part of the Dalton Gang Hideout and Museum in the city of Meade. Eva (Dalton) Whipple was sister to the famed outlaw Dalton brothers known for their robberies of trains and banks.
The Whipple House faces west toward Pearlette Street. Today, museum visitors enter the residence through the sub-grade tunnel connecting the home’s basement to the adjacent barn. The building has just four rooms: a living room and bedroom accessed by a center hall on the main/upper floor and a kitchen on the lower floor. The original tunnel was discovered when driving over it with a wagon. The home and tunnel are interpreted as they would have been when the Whipples owned it. The restoration project significantly updated the roof and siding of the home.