Washington School in Independence, Kansas was dedicated January 3, 1940, constructed with the assistance of the Federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The school is architecturally significant as a representative of an early Modern Movement school with Art Moderne influences and as the work of prominent school architect, Thomas W. Williamson of Topeka.
The rehabilitation project successfully used federal and Kansas Historic Tax Credits, combined with Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LITHC) to convert the school to housing, generally using each classroom as an apartment, retaining the corridor configuration throughout as well as the gymnasium.
The elementary school, which had experienced few alterations by the school district, was successfully converted to housing through creative design and attention to detail. The building now serves as home to 26 residents including at least one former teacher. The finished product maintains the historic character of the school while providing affordable modern apartments.