City: Central Kansas

The 316,000 gallon Landmark Water Tower was constructed in 1922. The water tower helped expand the waterworks and equalize water pressure throughout Manhattan. It is no longer used as a water tower or viewing tower but serves as a historic landmark for the area. The water tower is a standpipe with a cylindrical tower over …

Read More »

Picture from KSHPO The poor farm’s main building was constructed in 1889-1890 on a parcel of land once owned by W.E. Glover. Glover’s house is still standing. The poor farm’s cemetery is located a few hundred feet north of the poor farm. The buildings on the property have fallen into serious neglect since being abandoned …

Read More »

Since 1922, the former Lincoln High School has stood as a cornerstone of the community at the south end of 4th Street. Although it has largely sat vacant since the last class graduated from it in 1996, a group of local citizens organized the 1922 Foundation, a non-profit 501c(3), to purchase the building and work …

Read More »

The idea for the St. Johns Salina Hospital was pitched by Rev. Father Maher of the Sisters of St. Joseph who then brought the idea to other non-Catholic citizens of Salina who agreed there was a need and banded together. Because of the strong belief in the cause donations came pouring in and construction ensued …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Kelly Gourley

Kelly Gourley has a Bachelor of Interior Architecture from Kansas State University. In her career, she has been active in the preservation of downtowns including stints with the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office as a Design Specialist for the Michigan Main Street Program. After moving back to Kansas, Kelly has been active in preserving Lincoln’s …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Community House – Manhattan

The Manhattan Community House was built by Mont Green from H.B. Winter’s 1917 plans. It was the first permanently constructed community house in the United States, built to serve the soldiers during the war and the community afterward. A plaque on the building is inscribed, “1917 Manhattan Camp Funston-Community Building-A Tribute from the Citizens of …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Limerick Building

The Limerick Building was constructed in 1890 and housed the Bank of Alma that J. F. Limerick owned with his brother, G.W. Limerick of Wamego. The building was also known as the Limerick and Crafts block, as druggist, Fred Crafts, joined the building venture and operated his drug store in the south building in the …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Union National Bank – Manhattan

The building was completely renovated to its current footprint in 1905 by the Stringley Brothers.  The expansion created a number of office spaces that were occupied by various professionals over the years; these included doctors, dentists, realtors, and attorneys.  When the bank moved into new facilities at 7th and Poyntz in the 1970’s, this building …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
The Smith Building

The Smith Building has been occupied by many different businesses throughout its time. The earliest record of that location states it was an attorney’s office, when Walters redesigned the building, it was used for a furniture store. From there the building was converted to hardware stores, a clothing store, and for a time was used …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer