|Year(s) Listed: • 2012|
|City/Town: • Kansas City|
|Location Class: • Church|
|Built: 1887 | Abandoned: 1992|
|Status: • Demolished (2020) • Burned Down|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Originally built in 1887 as a wood-framed Methodist church, the building was remodeled and enclosed in the current brick cladding around 1909. An excellent example of the Gothic Revival style, this church building was sold to the Catholic diocese in 1937 and became a cultural anchor in the historically Mexican-American neighborhood of Argentine. Unfortunately, with diminishing attendance the building has been vacant since 1992 and has since suffered neglect. The building was determined eligible for listing in the National Register in 2011 and if listed, would become eligible for rehabilitation tax credits and possibly grant monies. Though threatened with condemnation, the current owner, the St. John the Divine Community Art and Education Center, is working to develop a plan for stabilization and rehabilitation of the building. However, they lack sufficient funds and need guidance for accessing available preservation and incentive programs.