Current Status: Demolished

Iconic camp identifying building for generations of 4-Hers and a remarkably intact example of special site adapted vernacular design and engineering that utilized local materials and manual skills.

Originally built in 1887 as a wood-framed Methodist church, the building was remodeled and enclosed in the current brick cladding around 1909. An excellent example of the Gothic Revival style, this church building was sold to the Catholic diocese in 1937 and became a cultural anchor in the historically Mexican-American neighborhood of Argentine. Unfortunately, with …

Read More »

This Italianate style commercial building dates to around 1895 and originally housed Charlie King’s grocery business. A recent survey of downtown Burlingame determined the building eligible as a potentially contributing resource to a surrounding historic district. However, the building has been vacant for 27 years and the rear wall collapsed in 2005. Due to shared …

Read More »

Constructed by Swedish immigrants in 1872, the Swedish Mission Church is located at the intersection of Topeka and Lakin Streets in Osage City. The church is a rare example of the Carpenter Gothic style is Kansas and is listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places. The ornamental steeple and stained glass windows were installed …

Read More »

This house was constructed ca. 1908 for Mary Butterfield, who was the owner. She and her husband Frank, a retired farmer, lived with their daughter, Margaret, at another location. Margaret Butterfield was appointed secretary of the Kansas State Agricultural College (now KSU) in 1909. Formerly the Manhattan Emegency Shelter, the building has been vacant for …

Read More »

Originally constructed in 1887 as a business building on the corner of Main Street in Minneapolis, Kansas, the Parker House Hotel was retrofitted into a 26 room hotel by widow Isabelle Parker in 1889. This Italianate structure had an interesting history serving as the primary meeting place for women suffragettes in the early 1900s and …

Read More »

Kenneth Smith was the first American golf club manufacturer.  His golf clubs were coveted by heads of state and famous celebrities.  Kenneth Smith acquired his stone house in 1932, but the home was actually built by one of the founding members of Shawnee, John Garrett, a stonemason.  The home dates to around 1870 with additions …

Read More »

Nominated by Belleville Main Street, Inc., this 1886 brick and timber framed structure was once a bustling railroad hotel located just off the town square in downtown Belleville.  Belleville has often been referred to as the Crossroads of America, as it sits at the juncture of Highways 36 and 81.  The twenty-two hotel rooms on …

Read More »

This 2600’ metal truss bridge spans the Missouri River at Atchison.  It was built by the WPA in 1937.  Sverdrup and Parcel Consulting Engineers of St. Louis designed the bridge.  It was determined to be eligible for listing on the National Register in 2000.  In 2003, the National Trust for Historic Preservation listed this bridge …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer