|Year(s) Listed: • 2023
|City/Town: • Wellington
|Location Class: • Residential
|Built: 1935 | Abandoned: ~2004
|Status: • For Sale • Abandoned
|Contributor: Abandoned Atlas Foundation
Joseph C. Smith Sr. and Mary Francis Burt Smith had decided that Wellington Kansas would be the place they settled down to have and raise their children. Mary had birthed four children Edwin, Joseph Jr., Nelly, and Harry. Edwin A. Smith was the eldest of the bunch born in 1870, they had brought him from his birthplace of Madison Indiana to Kansas in 1871. He spent his entire childhood in Wellington before going off to college and then returning. His father Joseph Sr. owned a mercantile that carried his namesake and was created just a year after Ed’s birth. Edwin after returning from college joined his father’s business as a shoe and clothing merchant. When his father retired Edwin and his brother Joseph Jr. banded together and purchased the family business to run as their own under the name ‘ The Smith Bros.’
Wellington, which Edwin’s father had a direct hand in establishing as a town seemed to offer everything he wanted out of life. As he grew into his age he had decided to build his home here, one of elegance and honor. Allegedly designed by Charles Ellis & Co. the home stands tall in a Colonial Revival/Spanish Mission Revival architectural style. The outside is painted with its original pink stucco with multi-paned windows, five panes high and two wide. A decorative ornate wrought iron balcony, window box, and panels along the roof line. The roof is flat with terra cotta and wrought iron at the edges.