Historic Designation: Register of Historic Kansas Places

Picture from KSHPO The poor farm’s main building was constructed in 1889-1890 on a parcel of land once owned by W.E. Glover. Glover’s house is still standing. The poor farm’s cemetery is located a few hundred feet north of the poor farm. The buildings on the property have fallen into serious neglect since being abandoned …

Read More »

The idea for the St. Johns Salina Hospital was pitched by Rev. Father Maher of the Sisters of St. Joseph who then brought the idea to other non-Catholic citizens of Salina who agreed there was a need and banded together. Because of the strong belief in the cause donations came pouring in and construction ensued …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Lee Mercantile Company Building

The HD Lee Mercantile Company Building, the north building in the complex, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Register of Historic Kansas Places in 2008.  The entire complex is nationally significant in the areas of Commerce and Industry because of the building’s association with Henry Daniel Lee.  Lee founded the HD …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Atchison YMCA

The Atchison YMCA has continuously served the community needs of the citizens of Atchinson.  The building functioned as the city’s only YMCA facility until it closed in 2017.  A new YMCA facility was constructed adjacent to the historic building, which opened in 2018.  The Atchison YMCA organization continued to adapt its program and modify the …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Chase County Courthouse

2009: The Chase County Courthouse Interior Project in Cottonwood Falls received a Rehabilitation Medallion Award Rehabilitation restored the courtroom and preserved character-defining features while making the building usable as a modern courthouse. 2021: As Chase County is largely a rural setting, the Courthouse is one of its more grandiose structures, designed by the architect John …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Fox Theatre

 The Fox Theatre, built in 1949, occupies a prominent location in the middle of the 600 block of Commercial Street, the primary commercial thoroughfare in downtown Atchison. The site of the 1949 Fox Theatre illustrates a long association with the motion picture business in Atchison; prior to the nominated theater, the parcel was the location …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Seven Dolors Catholic Parish

The weekend of April 14th/15th, 2018 Fr. Kerry gave an update on the Church Renovation Project. If you missed it, here is the update. “I am here to give an update on our Church Renovation. This process began over three years ago. One of the driving forces behind our renovation is that in less than …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Harry Keith Barn

The Harry Keith Barn has served the agricultural needs of the land on which it sits for 70 years. The barn was designed for storing large quantities of hay on the upper level, with the lower level providing space for milking and housing livestock. Built into a south-facing hillside, the barn was well insulated against …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Leavenworth Union Depot

Beginning life in 1888 as the Leavenworth Union Depot, the Riverfront Community Center features Richardsonian Romanesque design elements, which would become popular for important buildings throughout the decade. The Union Pacific, Rock Island, Santa Fe, Missouri Pacific, Leavenworth Northern & Southern, and Leavenworth & Olathe railroads all held an interest in the depot, making it …

Read More »

When Grace Bedell was eleven years old in New York state, she wrote to candidate Abraham Lincoln suggesting that he grow a beard so he could be elected president. Lincoln requested a stop when the presidential train headed to the inaugural so that he could thank his “Little Correspondent” as he called her. Later, Grace …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer