Author name: ecowan

The 316,000 gallon Landmark Water Tower was constructed in 1922. The water tower helped expand the waterworks and equalize water pressure throughout Manhattan. It is no longer used as a water tower or viewing tower but serves as a historic landmark for the area. The water tower is a standpipe with a cylindrical tower over …

Read More »

Picture from KSHPO The poor farm’s main building was constructed in 1889-1890 on a parcel of land once owned by W.E. Glover. Glover’s house is still standing. The poor farm’s cemetery is located a few hundred feet north of the poor farm. The buildings on the property have fallen into serious neglect since being abandoned …

Read More »

Since 1922, the former Lincoln High School has stood as a cornerstone of the community at the south end of 4th Street. Although it has largely sat vacant since the last class graduated from it in 1996, a group of local citizens organized the 1922 Foundation, a non-profit 501c(3), to purchase the building and work …

Read More »

The idea for the St. Johns Salina Hospital was pitched by Rev. Father Maher of the Sisters of St. Joseph who then brought the idea to other non-Catholic citizens of Salina who agreed there was a need and banded together. Because of the strong belief in the cause donations came pouring in and construction ensued …

Read More »

Kansas State Office Building, renamed Docking State Office Building in 1987, is one of the first examples of Modern Movement architecture effectively applied to a public building in Kansas. It was also one of the earliest buildings in the region to utilize an aluminum and glass curtain wall. The building clearly expresses the ideals and …

Read More »

A landmark in the western Topeka skyline, the building was constructed in 1930 to house the Securities Benefit Association Hospital.  The design of the building was inspired by Independence Hall in Philadelphia and represents collaboration between a Chicago firm, Schmidt, Garden and Martin and Topeka architect Walter E. Glover.  In 1961, the Menninger Foundation purchased …

Read More »

Nemaha County Temple of Honor UPDATE!! January 2015 Working as a team with faculty advisors, members of the Nemaha County Historical Society, and a representative from the Kansas Preservation Alliance, an interdisciplinary group of eleven Kansas State University students have recently completed a unique undergraduate research project.  The students investigated the Nemaha County Temple of …

Read More »

Renovation planned to eliminate the stages and permanent seating to create offices and additional basketball courts. UPDATE! January 2015 On Dec. 16th, the Manhattan City Commission awarded a contract to Cheney Construction for both the City Hall Parks and Rec. office expansion project and for the improvements to the Peace Memorial Auditorium, which include air …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer