Awards of Excellence:
Kansas Firefighters Museum

Year(s) Listed:
Location Class:
Built: 1909 | Year Saved: 1990s
Historic Designation: National Register of Historic Places (1994) Register of Historic Kansas Places (1994)
Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance

Photo by Visit Wichita

Constructed in 1909, Engine House No. 6 was the last horse-drawn fire station in Wichita.  Not used as an active station since 1953, the building had been used primarily for storage.  The Kansas Firefighters Museum was formed in 1993 and has rehabilitated the building, primarily through volunteer efforts.  The museum is now open, exhibiting fire fighting artifacts, memorabilia, apparatus, and equipment.  David Burke of Wichita was architect of the project and significant work was completed by Mid-Continental Restoration Co. of Fort Scott and Buckley Roofing of Wichita.

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer