|Year(s) Listed: • 1993|
|City/Town: • Newton|
|Location Class: • Government|
|Built: 1910 | Abandoned: N/A|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (2003)|
|Status: • Saved|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
The current owner the Newton United School District, uses the building as an alternative school. It was built in 1910 for $60,000. During the 1970s the US Postal Service turned the building over to the school district. Within the last year it has been updated in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The district now has the authorization to sell the building and a local church has expressed an interest in the property for additional parking. Although the building is a local landmark it is not on any state or national register.