|Year(s) Listed: • 1996 • 1998|
|City/Town: • Lawrence|
|Location Class: • Government|
|Built: 1904 | Abandoned: 2002|
|Historic Designation: • National Register of Historic Places (1975)|
|Status: • Saved (2011)|
|Contributor: Kansas Preservation Alliance|
Picture and Info by Carnegie Library
The Carnegie building was constructed in 1904 with a grant worth approximately $27,000 from Andrew Carnegie. During the 1930’s an addition was build to accommodate the growing volume of books and materials. It served as the Lawrence public library until a new library was constructed in 1972.
The Lawrence Arts Center inhabited the building from 1975 through 2002. It was also in 1975 that the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Old City Library.
In January of 2011 the Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department began operating the facility, once again making it available for public use. Destination Management and the Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area will have offices in the facility, as well as exhibit space to display historical information about Lawrence and the surrounding area.