City: Southern Kansas

Awards of Excellence:
Mueller-Schmidt Home

Built in 1880, the Home of Stone today serves as the museum for the Ford County Historical Society in Dodge City, KS. It is a limestone residence with ornate masonry and woodwork at each of its facades. In 2016, the exterior envelope was in need of multiple repairs. Ben Moore Studio was hired to produce …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Fresh Air Baby Camp

The Fresh Air Baby Camp in Wichita, Kansas may possibly be the only extant purpose-built and permanent baby camp structure in the United States. In 2007 the building had been out of use for several years and the City Park and Recreation Department had not been able to maintain it. The Wichita Office of Historic …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Common Ground Coffee Co.

The single story building was fully rehabilitated to bring the building from a vacant structure to a fully operational and vibrant business that enlivens the street in Downtown Fort Scott. The exterior primary stone façade (north) and the red brick secondary facades were fully repointed. The north stone façade was labeled and disassembled from the …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Washington School – Independence

Washington School in Independence, Kansas was dedicated January 3, 1940, constructed with the assistance of the Federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The school is architecturally significant as a representative of an early Modern Movement school with Art Moderne influences and as the work of prominent school architect, Thomas W. Williamson of Topeka. The rehabilitation project …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Whipple House

This project preserved the 1887 former residence of John and Eva (Dalton) Whipple, an 1887 contributing property part of the Dalton Gang Hideout and Museum in the city of Meade. Eva (Dalton) Whipple was sister to the famed outlaw Dalton brothers known for their robberies of trains and banks. The Whipple House faces west toward …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Colorado Derby Building

The Colorado Derby building, a 9-story example of modern movement architecture, was completed in 1960. The building was designed as a speculative office building but was fully occupied shortly after it opened. It is named after the Colorado Oil & Gas Co., which was the first company to occupy the building. In 2014 it was …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Senator Pat Roberts

In late 2017, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was introduced to Congress. While intended to simplify personal taxes and lower corporate taxes to stimulate economic growth, the proposal also eliminated many tax credits, including the Federal Historic Tax Credit used in the financing of many historic preservation projects. Over the last 36 years, the …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Burford Theatre

The Burford Theatre was constructed in 1924 in downtown Arkansas City. The Theatre was designed by the Boller Brothers, renowned for their innovative designs, and who traveled across the Midwest designing over 100 theatres in the first half of the 20th century, 30 of them in Kansas. In South Central Kansas only three Boller Brothers …

Read More »

Awards of Excellence:
Augusta Frisco Depot

The first Frisco Depot in Augusta was a wood frame building constructed in the 1880s when the railroad was first built, becoming a hub of life in the city. It was replaced in 1910 with a building made of brick masonry. An expanded freight room was built shortly afterward in 1916 in a response to …

Read More »

Copyright © 2022- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@abandonedatlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer